B.S. – Civil Engineering – University of Nevada, Reno – 1988
Professional Work History
2000 – Present: John Shaw Consulting, LLC
Provide Civil Engineering including design, planning and consulting on operations and maintenance, regulatory compliance and management services specific to the water and wastewater industry and consulting and expert witness testimony for attorneys. Have lived and/or worked in many of the United States as well as Jamaica, Mexico, Scotland, England, Spain, France, Italy, Honduras, Columbia, Belarus and Canada.
1986 – 2000: Shaw Engineering, Ltd.
President. Owned and managed this company until October 2000, when it was sold to two of the Principal Engineers. Through Shaw Engineering, Ltd., was involved in a diverse list of projects including water and wastewater planning, treatment, conveyance, collection, rehabilitation re-use and disposal facilities including planning, design, construction and contract management, operations, safety, and regulatory requirements. Through Shaw Engineering, Ltd., was appointed City Engineer for the City of Lovelock, and in 1989 provided that service as well as serving as the City Building official until 1999. Later, provided these services to Lander County, Nevada as well.
More recent projects include: Duraflex International – Industrial Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Facility; Alpine Springs County Water District; Gold Mountain Community Services District; Pine Ridge Water Company (Nos. 1 & 2); Matthew’s Ranch Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Facility; Quill Ranch Water Treatment Plant; Grand View Terrace Water Company; City of Lovelock Wastewater Treatment Facility (SBR); Lander County Public Safety Facility Construction Management; Battle Mountain Wastewater Treatment Plant; Lander County Humboldt and Reese River Contaminant Modeling; Lander County Pool Rehabilitation; CDB Effluent Reuse Facility-Hydraulic Analysis; Silver Lake Water Company System Mapping; Northstar Summit Deck & Grille; Sky Vista Sewage Lift Station and Force Main; Washoe County Utility Division Southern Washoe County Sewer and Water Utility System Mapping; Incline Village GID Burnt Cedar Beach Pool Rehabilitation; and numerous others.
1988 – 1995: SPB Utility Services, Inc.
Secretary/Treasurer. SPB is an operations company that provides contract operations, and operations and maintenance consulting services throughout the State of Nevada. As the Secretary of the corporation, was responsible for all the local (Reno, Sparks, Washoe County) operations, employees and clients, as well as regulatory compliance, including OSHA, at all the facilities for which the company was responsible.
Registrations & Certifications
For current detailed information regarding Registrations and Certifications download John Shaw’s printable CV (PDF)
- Registered Professional Engineer (past and present)
- Professional Reviewer and Expert Witness for the Oregon Board of Examiners for Engineering & Land Surveying
- NCEES Records Program
- United Nations Consultant Roster
- United States Council for International Engineering Practice
- AWWA Certification – Grade IV Water Treatment Plant Operator
- AWWA Certification – Grade IV Water Distribution Operator
- WEF Certification – Grade IV Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
- California DHS Certification – Grade V Water Distribution System Operator
- Nevada State Health Certification – Grade IV Water Treatment Plant Operator
- Nevada State Health Certification – Grade IV Water Distribution Operator
- State of Nevada Certification – Grade IV Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
- OSHA Confined Space Safety Certification (29 CFR 1910.146, 1926.1001, 1915.1001)
- Certified Inspector - Polyethylene Fusion, McElroy University
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - “Guide for Municipal Wet Weather Strategies,” Reviewer
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - “Wet Weather Design and Operation,” Reviewer - This publication addresses both wastewater treatment plant design and operations practices related to wet weather flows and it expands on the peculiarities of wet weather from both design and operational perspectives.
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - Sewer Collection Systems Committee, Member -
- “Wastewater Collection Systems Management, Manual of Practice No. FD-17”
- “Collection Systems Operator’s Guide to Preparing for the Certification Examination,” Co-Author
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - "Operation of Municipal Wastewater Treatment Facilities," (MOP 11, 6th Edition), Reviewer
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - "Wastewater Treatment Operator Training Manual," Co-Author, Reviewer
- National Association of Sewer Service Companies (NASSCO) - "Specification For Sewer Line Cleaning," Co-Author
Affiliations & Memberships
- American Water Works Association (AWWA CA/NV – Asset Management Committee - Member
- Water Environment Federation (WEF) - Sewer Collection Systems Committee - Member
- North Carolina AWWA-WEA Collection & Distribution Systems Committee
- American Membrane Technology Associate - Member
- University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Civil Engineering – Curriculum Advisory Board Member
- American Water Works Association - Member #233221
- AWWA, Illinois Section – Water System Distribution Committee - Member
- International Water Association (IWA) - Member
- Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA) - Member
- Tahoe Truckee Sanitary Agency (TTSA) – Board of Directors (2002 – 2005)
- Washoe County Health Department – Sewage, Water, and Sanitation Hearing Board Member (appointed 1993-1998)
- Tahoe-Truckee Engineers Association
- Volunteers for Overseas Cooperative Assistance (VOCA) - Volunteer
- Water for People – International Volunteer
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers - Member #6896-00
- American Backflow Prevention Association - Member #Q1245
- Water Environment Federation - Member #1645765 (Exp. 4/30/2017)
- National Association of Sewer Service Companies (NASSCO) - Member (Exp. 12/31/2015)
- NASSCO Industry Standards Committee - Member
- NASSCO Infrastructure Condition Assessment Committee - Member
- World Toilet Organization
John Shaw’s printable CV (PDF)